From saving money on gas to enjoying the feel of the open road, there’s no doubt that riding a motorcycle is a fun and efficient form of transportation. Unfortunately, motorcyclists are more vulnerable than drivers of four-wheeled passenger vehicles, and they are four times more likely to be injured in a crash.
If you or a loved one has been injured in a motorcycle accident, Attorney Bryan Garrett is here to help.
When to Hire an Attorney for a Motorcycle Accident Case
It’s recommended to consult with an attorney after any motorcycle accident where you were injured. The rationale for this assessment is that there are bound to be medical bills that need to be paid, and you could have injuries that affect your career or quality of life. A motorcycle accident victim should not incur debt or worry about their financial future due to someone else’s negligent or reckless behavior.
An attorney in this situation can be beneficial for the following reasons:
- Determine fault. Society has wrongly stereotyped motorcyclists as rebels who take unnecessary risks even though most motorcyclists have undergone additional safety training and carefully observe the rules of the road.
As a result of this unfair classification, insurance companies tend to view the circumstances of an accident from a lens that is unfavorable to the motorcyclist. This can lead to an insurance company misattributing blame, deeming the rider fully or partially at fault for an accident.
Having an attorney who’s on your side can be essential in fairly attributing blame to the at-fault party. This could include conducting a detailed investigation that involves reviewing police reports, forensic data, and witness statements.
Your attorney may also identify other liable parties, such as a driver’s employer, municipalities that failed to maintain safe road conditions, or a vehicle manufacturer that sold defective parts.
- Negotiate with insurance companies. Even if the other driver’s insurance company determines that their client was 100% at fault and they’re ready to issue a settlement, there’s a good chance that the amount being offered is less than what adequately compensates you for your injuries.
Legal representation in this situation can mean the difference between a settlement that leaves you scrambling to pay medical bills or finding yourself in a secure financial position.
There are a lot of calculations that go into determining a settlement amount, and your attorney will leave no stone unturned in calculating these figures. While an insurance company might attempt to cap a settlement based on your immediate injuries, your attorney will advocate for ongoing care and compensation for training or education if your injuries necessitate a career or lifestyle change.
- Represent you in a lawsuit. In an ideal world, the other driver’s insurance company would immediately agree to a fair settlement amount, and you could focus solely on healing without any financial worries.
However, it’s not uncommon for insurance companies to deny claims or fail to agree on financial compensation that’s adequate. In situations like these, an attorney will advocate for your rights at every step, including going to court.
Common Causes of Motorcycle Accidents
Motorcyclists can be especially vulnerable to collisions due to their relatively smaller size, which decreases their visibility. Further, drivers aren’t always on the lookout for motorcyclists; instead, focusing on the four-wheeled vehicles in their immediate vicinity.
Virtually anything can happen on the road to cause a collision, but some of the most common causes, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, are:
– Drivers violating a motorcyclist’s right of way
– Drivers not seeing the bike
– Careless driving, such as speeding, tailgating, and unsafe lane changes
– Distracted driving, specifically texting and driving
– Improper turns
– Vehicular malfunctions
Potential Damages Motorcycle Accident Victims Can Recover
Being injured in a motorcycle accident can wreak havoc on your finances and lifestyle, and injured riders (and their passenger, if applicable) may be eligible to receive the following:
– Compensation for motorcycle repairs
– Reimbursement for all medical expenses, including ongoing treatments and subsequent therapies
– Payment for lost wages and a loss in future earning capacity
– Compensation for pain and suffering
– Punitive damages for particularly egregious behavior on the part of the other party
Contact Bryan Garrett to Discuss Your Case
With over 15 years of experience in personal injury cases, including motorcycle accidents, Attorney Bryan Garrett is committed to standing up for the rights of motorcyclists and their loved ones.
It’s important to seek legal counsel as soon as possible after an accident to help preserve evidence and avoid making any missteps. The statute of limitations (the amount of time you have to file a lawsuit) is also a factor that bears considering, and delay could cost you.
Bryan Garrett offers free consultations, and he works on a contingency basis. As a result, you don’t have to pay any money upfront. When your case is settled, your bill will be paid as a percentage of your settlement amount.